Sunday, December 29, 2013

An Essay on Fasting

Almost exactly a year ago I was in a car, moving back to Utah. I wasn't sure what it'd be like this time, what kind of housing I'd find, whether I'd be able to find work, if the dating life would be any better, what my ward would be like, what any of it would be like as a non-student back in Studentville. It was only a few months after I'd left it "for good" and yet there I was, moving back for a new adventure and a great potential life opportunity. Nothing was solid about it except for my intended roommate J. Clearly, I was pretty anxious about it all; I spent a lot of time in prayer, asking the Lord to help me know why I was here, to help me find out where I was going, to sustain me in the 0 degree weather which my recently re-acclimatized Californian body wasn't used to, to find housing -- which, in the LDS culture, affects not only how you're living but can largely affect your social life and your spiritual nourishment because where you live tells you where you'll be going to church and what ward you'll be in...So after some pondering and talking with J, we decided to fast together about finding the right place to live.

I've always known that fasting is important. I seem to remember my parents telling us that when we were 8 years old and could be baptized, we were also old enough to learn how to fast. My first experience with fasting was on the Fast Sunday right before my 8th birthday -- I wanted to try it one month early, since the rule was that I'd have to do it the next month anyway. And I got SO sick...I was lying on the couch, miserable, throwing up repeatedly (even though there wasn't really anything in my stomach), listless, in pain, wanting to fast but knowing my body absolutely hated it...not that anyone's body loves fasting, but still. I was sick enough that my parents even agreed to cut the 24-hour fast a bit short to give my body back some much-needed nutrients. My siblings certainly didn't complain about the early dinner. But the point is, the Lord blessed me greatly for fasting that Sunday. I had that one horrible experience with my first attempt at fasting -- perhaps the devil's attempt to convince me that fasting won't work for me -- and then the next month, and the next month, and the next month, and so on, it was far more doable and I never got sick. Sure, I was hungry, and more frequently than not I completely forgot to have a purpose for my fast. I don't think that we ever entirely forgot to fast on Fast Sunday (my family's always been good at scheduling and dates and such), but sometimes I did have a hard time making it all the way through the 24 hours until dinnertime. And when I moved out and had roommates who were used to eating right after church on Fast Sunday (even when Church was from 9-noon), I sometimes failed to keep to the two-meal fast I'd been taught to do. Still, the Lord blessed me for my meager efforts.

When J and I fasted that first Sunday last January about where to live, the Lord blessed us immediately and abundantly. Within two days, He led us to the perfect place: the Hobbit Hole, as we call it. It's a wonderful blend of comfort and joy and fantastic landlords and full furnishings...and an amazing ward. We were blessed to be in a ward with all kinds of excellent people and the most incredible bishopric. Our bishop is one of the best of men, one of the most aware, genuinely caring, intelligent, knowledge-hungry, generous and selfless people I've ever known. I know that J and I needed him at this time in our lives. And as the ward has changed and new people have moved in, I've been blessed time and time again by their friendships, by their examples and influence and their beautiful spirits.

At that time in my life, a lesson needed to be learned or reemphasized. Heavenly Father knew what I needed, and sure, I'd prayed fervently to be led to the right place to live. Yet sometimes, "this kind goeth not out but by prayer AND fasting." (Matthew 17:21) God has promised us that if we ask in faith, He will answer. I'm sure He would have helped me find a place to live even if I'd prayed only, and maybe it would have been the Hobbit Hole. But how much greater are the blessings of those who truly seek them out through both prayer and fasting? In showing the Lord that you are willing to deny yourself of even the basic needs of the flesh to have food and drink, all for the sake of a greater desire and need, your sacrifice becomes acceptable to Him and He will bless you an hundredfold with more than you could have imagined.

Our church has scheduled a regular church-wide fast on the first Sunday of each month since December 1896. Some of us can barely manage the once a month fast, but fasting the bare minimum is not really enough to make us into the Saints we profess to be. My good bishop told us a few months ago that he's decided to fast once a week for the rest of his life. He shared with us that as he tried this experiment of a weekly fast, he found multiple blessings come into his life -- he was far stronger in resisting the devil, more able to accomplish his goals and tasks, better able to serve, and plenty more, including the fact that he continued to be strong and healthy despite denying himself food and drink for two consecutive meals once a week.

On remembering this, I decided to fast today because I know I haven't been keeping myself as spiritually nourished as I ought. In fact, Heavenly Father and I had a chat about that earlier this week and I had some serious apologizing to do...but I've done it and I've recommitted myself =) So today I decided to fast that I'd be able to draw closer to Him and, no surprise, it has already worked. My church meetings abounded with spiritual promptings and feelings and revelations, ways I can serve better, knowledge that the Lord is there always by my side and wanting to help me be the best that I can. I received spiritual confirmation that He truly wants to help me gain my fondest dream and that He is always there. I was more touched by the messages shared in a family ward full of strangers with lots of noisy children than I tend to be in my own ward full of young single adults, because I allowed myself to be closer to the Spirit through fasting.

Just look at some of the additional blessings of fasting, as listed in Hymn #139:
1. In fasting we approach thee here
And pray thy Spirit from above
Will cleanse our hearts, cast out our fear,
And fill our hunger with thy love.
2. Thru this small sacrifice, may we
Recall that strength and life each day
Are sacred blessings sent from thee--
Fill us with gratitude, we pray.
3. And may our fast fill us with care
For all thy children now in need.
May we from our abundance share,
Thy sheep to bless, thy lambs to feed.
4. This fast, dear Father, sanctify--
Our faith and trust in thee increase.
As we commune and testify,
May we be filled with joy and peace.
Text: Paul L. Anderson, b. 1946. (c) 1981 Paul L. Anderson and Lynn R. Carson.
Music: Clay Christiansen, b. 1949. (c) 1985 IRI

Look at some of those blessings promised in the scriptures:
Joy and rejoicing: “And on this day thou shalt do none other thing, only let thy food be prepared with singleness of heart that thy fasting may be perfect, or, in other words, that thy joy may be full. Verily, this is fasting and prayer, or in other words, rejoicing and prayer.” (D&C 59:13–14.)
For miracles and for the direct benefit of others: “And it came to pass after they had fasted and prayed for the space of two days and two nights, the limbs of Alma received their strength, and he stood up and began to speak unto them...” (Mosiah 27:23)
For knowledge and testimony strength: “I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself. And now I do know of myself that they are true; for the Lord God hath made them manifest unto me by his Holy Spirit.” (Alma 5:46)
Humility, firmness of faith, joy, consolation, purity and sanctification of heart: “Nevertheless they did fast and pray oft, and did wax stronger and stronger in their humility, and firmer and firmer in the faith of Christ, unto the filling their souls with joy and consolation, yea, even to the purifying and the sanctification of their hearts, which sanctification cometh because of their yielding their hearts unto God.” (Helaman 3:35)
Glory of the Lord, righteousness, and answers from God: “Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy reward. Then shalt thou call, and the Lord shall answer; thou shalt cry, and he shall say, Here I am.” (Isaiah 58:8–9).
Spirit of prophecy and revelation: “They had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation.” (Alma 17:3).

In the past year I've had multiple experiences that have significantly strengthened my testimony of fasting, including my experience today. And I'm strongly considering making it one of my New Year's Resolutions to fast weekly. Though sometimes fasting is quite difficult for my weak body, I have faith that the Lord will help me fast in my weakness and bless me for my efforts. I know this is important to Him and that it will make a significant, positive change in my life. And I, for one, am all in favor of positive changes.

2 comments:

  1. As usual, you touch my heart with your sincere, honest, and intelligent thoughts. As I read these words, I was inspired and lifted to stretch beyond my current efforts. Thank you, my Daughter. My goal as a mother is to have my children surpass me--you definitely have. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post on Fasting. Well done, Cousin! :D

    ReplyDelete