Tuesday, March 1, 2011

You know, it's a good thing you're not a big fat guy or this would be REALLY difficult...

I've been slacking lately on writing, mostly because all day I stare at a computer screen, working with Stata, and when I get home my poor eyes don't want to look at a computer screen. And I don't want to think. Meh.

Anyway. A few random thoughts...

- Playing "Screaming Viking" in a graduate university course is very entertaining, especially when your department chair has to interrupt to investigate because you're all being too loud. For those of you who don't know, this is one of those silly games people play while standing in a circle. Let me know if you want me to explain it to you sometime; it's just not the same in writing.

- BYU is really weird in a lot of ways, as is Provo. Sometimes I really wonder how I ended up here. It's a great school, of course, but the people, the social norms, the way of living, how people's minds work and what they think...pretty weird sometimes.

- Relationships are difficult, occasionally more so when you aren't even in one. People usually say that it can be less stressful and less work when you aren't dating anyone, but I don't know, experience has shown me that sometimes relationships can be better for you because they motivate you with all those healthy endorphins to go out and conquer the world. Plus, you're happy because you have someone to share your life with. Maybe I'll change my opinion on that when I get in another relationship, or maybe not.

- Going shopping can be a great stress reliever, especially if you are with someone who enjoys shopping as you do. You don't even have to buy anything for this to work; you can just walk around, enjoy trying on shoes and looking at clothes, jewelry, makeup, books, sheet music, musical instruments...man, shopping for any of that stuff can be a grand old time.

- Playing the piano and singing...how I wish I had the time to do these things. I try to on Sundays and occasionally on other days, but school and work keep me too busy to play/sing to my heart's content. But whenever I can do so, it is worth it. Music is my heart and my soul; it is my catharsis.

- Graduate school, graduate school...it is very difficult when you aren't really into it. Without the drive to accomplish the degree and pursue higher goals, it is nearly impossible to get anything done.

I could say plenty more, but I am so tired I should probably turn in. At least it's 3 hours later than when I originally wanted to go to bed. Sheesh, I'm lame.

"Ah, how shall I do it? I know! I'll turn him into a flea. A harmless little flea. And then I'll put that flea in a box, and then I'll put that box inside another box, and then I'll mail that box to myself, and when it arrives...ah ha ha ha ha! I'll smash it with a hammer!"

Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. Good thoughts. Keep sharing. I enjoy seeing what's on your mind, and it's usually very valuable to the readers as well. You're a sweetheart. Hang in there....you'll be done with this phase soon, and a break will come. Love you.

    ReplyDelete