Friday, May 6, 2011

Joss Whedon and Buffy, The Vampire Slayer

Recently I've been using Netflix to watch the TV series Buffy, The Vampire Slayer, written by Joss Whedon. If you're not familiar with his work, Joss Whedon also wrote Angel (spinoff from Buffy), Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, Firefly, and the film Serenity, among others. As I am familiar with much of his work, I can say with confidence that he is a great writer of television, and arguably one of the most creative. Even if you don't like vampires or science fiction or musicals, I don't see how you can not appreciate his style and creativity in the production of these shows. For the dialogue alone it is worth watching these shows.

I used to watch Buffy when I was a kid, but I remembered only very basic characters when I started watching it again a couple months ago. I'll admit that season 1 was hard to get through at times, as it is with most shows, especially since lower budget for new TV shows means lower quality costuming (difficult to ignore when the Slayer fights demons that don't look very demonic). But I'm now almost done with season 2 and am really enjoying the storyline. With me, a good film or TV show is all about the plot. For example, I used to watch Glee a lot because of the music. (Coincidentally for this post, Joss Whedon directed one of my favorite Glee episodes, Dream On, with guest stars Neil Patrick Harris and Idina Menzel.) But when the plot for Glee started having some serious issues, I got more and more frustrated. Sure, it was still funny and the singing/dancing was usually great though occasionally subpar, but it got old--fast--without a good plotline. Buffy, though it's about a high school girl who slays vampires, never gets old because Whedon keeps the storyline fresh and interesting. Of course, I also think Sarah Michelle Gellar and her co-stars are good actors, particularly David Boreanaz. They do an excellent job of portraying the characters. It's possible that the later seasons get worse, and I'm keeping an open mind about that, but I know Joss Whedon is talented and I am excited to see what happens.

I didn't intend to make this a post about how wonderful Joss Whedon is. In fact, I meant to talk about how people have responded to me watching Buffy, The Vampire Slayer. Most seem indifferent, because it's not airing right now. Yet a couple people have responded to me with derision, one even saying they can't respect me for watching it. Why? What's embarrassing about this show? Is it because it's about vampires? They are not exactly sparkly Edwards, nor is Buffy any vapid, insecure, helpless Bella. I'm not embarrassed to be watching it. Why do some people find it so mockable?

2 comments:

  1. I think it's funny that people would be mocking it since some of the most intelligent people I know have highly recommended it to me. People who can take apart a movie scene by scene for the imagery that's being shown, people who regularly read classic literature. People who have college degrees, and can actually think for themselves and describe why they like the things they do, and not just say "Because it has VAMPIRES in it! And she falls in love with him - and he's GOOD!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never felt inclined to check out this whole Buffy thing years ago, but you make a convincing case....based on your recommendation, perhaps I shall.

    The Twilight phenom was cool at first, but I only read the first book, so my friends who love it are all astonished at my disinterest. Huh. But if YOU say Buffy's good---
    nuff said. I trust you.

    ReplyDelete