Sunday, July 4, 2010

Prisoners on Independence Day?

I've been doing some indexing today for FamilySearch, and the sheet I'm working on right now had me a little bemused.  For those of you who don't do indexing, all that you do is type up handwritten census records so they can be used for temple work.  The first column you have to copy is the "family number", which is how census takers used to keep track of which houses they'd been to already.  So for this one I'm working on, the first column is left entirely blank the whole way down (for 50 records), and I'm thinking, they can't possibly all live in the same house.  Then I see written on the side, "All on sheet are at such-and-such address".  My first thought is maybe it's like an apartment building, and then I think, whoa, what a fraternity... So I mark the first column blank for every single record and then start filling out the rest of the information.  When I get to "Relationship" (basically, house standing, as in, Head, Wife, Son, Daughter, Servant, Employee, etc.), I see that it says "Prisoner."  What??  I look down the list and see that every single record has the word "Prisoner" written underneath the Relationship column.  Apparently I'm indexing a census record taken at a prison.  Either that or some crazy person kept 50+ people prisoner in his house.  Interesting.  You don't do that every day.  That also means I get some more interesting first names, like "Speed"...hmm.  I wonder how he ended up in prison...

On another note,  HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY, USA!! .

Remember why it's important and remember just how many have fought and continue to fight to keep our country safe.

Happy Fourth of July!  Try not to lose your hearing with all the fireworks crackin' around...Hope you had a good one!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing...they were in a physical prison, and now they are in spirit prison--you are trying to set them free! Keep it up, Girl!

    ReplyDelete