Thursday, July 29, 2010

The inevitable spontaneous combustion of my computer

So the sound stopped working on my computer.  No, it's not a problem of whether or not the speakers are plugged in (I do know a tiny bit about common sense and computers)...it is broken.  My brother in law, who decided to study computers for a living (I think he's crazy, but it's great for me because I can go to him with my computer problems!) says that it sounds like something went bad on the sound card and he'll have to take a look at it.  He can do so on Saturday, possibly sooner...but unfortunately, with no computer sound, no iPod, no working CD player, and no roommates around to play their music (I'd even deal with "All The Single Ladies!!"), I am music-less and online video-less for at least two days.  Hopefully no more than that, I'm really hoping my brother in law can fix it.  Why do such unlucky things happen?  It was working last night!  All I wanted was to turn on my music so I could have something to listen to while I organize my room.  Sigh.

Things keep breaking on my computer, or it slows down, or it gets really full of crap (it only has 40 GB), and I freak out that it's going to crash on me and I'm going to have to buy a new computer.  It's probably inevitable.  Well, I am still using a desktop, and it's at least five or six years old...and I'm about to start grad school.  You'd think it'd be time for a new computer anyway, and it is.  Unfortunately, where am I going to come up with the money for a new computer?  And even then, what kind should I get?  What's the best option for a new computer for me?  A laptop would be really nice to take notes on, but is it worth it?  I have no idea where to begin here, it's very overwhelming...any advice would be greatly appreciated!  I'll just be sitting here, with a movie thrown in for some background noise while I attempt to organize my room...though I'm really standing and hitting my head against the wall.

Maybe I'll rename my computer Maher-shalal-hash-baz.  I'll call it Mayhem for short.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your computer. That's lame. If it's size that you need, though, you can get a portable hard drive from Walmart for like 60 bucks, and it holds 300GB. Seriously, totally worth it. Just sayin'.

    I'd get a laptop if I were you. You could get a netbook, those are pretty cheap, along with a portable hard drive for extra storage space! That's probably what I would do if I were you. I think you can find netbooks for as little as $2-300. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the name for your computer. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't you first look up the meaning of the name of Isaiah's son Maher-shalal-hash-baz?
    I think it's something like "Destruction is eminent". Perhaps a name like Sally would be better. I'm just sayin.

    I vote for a bonafide laptop with loads of capability. Spring for a good one, since you're gonna need it. Plus all the accessories. The debt continues...did you schedule a meeting with your financial advisor? (sorry!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's why I decided to call it that, Mom =P Because I knew destruction was imminent for it...

    And Sally DIED. Don't you remember? My first pet goldfish? Yeah. I can never name anything "Sally" ever again.

    Ordered one, it should be here in a few days. It seems pretty good. Yes, I scheduled a meeting for tomorrow morning...hopefully he will be able to give me some good news! (Though I'm trying to keep my expectations low because let's face it, financial luck is extremely low right now...)

    ReplyDelete