Sunday, August 1, 2010

Death of a Salesman Computer

A WORD OF ADVICE...

NEVER name your computer Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz.  If you do, it WILL self-destruct within 24 hours.

My hard drive is completely shot, and I lost everything I hadn't saved since mid-June.  Thankfully I did back up my files then, but yeah, I'm not excited about that.  NOR am I excited about forking over several hundred dollars for a new computer!  But I've decided it's time for me to suck it up and buy a decent laptop for school.  (I've been using a desktop computer all through college, but now that I'm going to grad school it seems better to get a laptop.)  I haven't officially decided on a model, but I have narrowed it down to several options...hopefully one of them speaks to me by Monday so that I can order it first thing that morning. 

Yay hooray for spending money I don't have...at least it's not like that one time in France when a train strike ended up costing me over $400 dollars...but that's a story for another day.  Anyway, a laptop will cost more than $400, so now I can recall the train strike experience with a smile!  How exciting.

"After all the highways, and the trains, and the appointments, and the years, you end up more dead than alive." - Willy Loman, in Death of a Salesman.  He didn't know it at the time, but he was talking about my old Mayhem.

4 comments:

  1. I highly recommend your looking for a laptop on www.tigerdirect.com. I bought my refurbished HP laptop for around $500 and it's AMAZING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sigh. good luck! I like Jill's suggestion. :) Thinking good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no words of advice--the laptop I use is the one I have for work--but I wish you the best of luck finding a new computer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jill! I had already looked there and found some good options, but ended up buying one from Newegg =) And thanks for the luck, Mom and Carina! I hope the one I bought ends up being a good one!

    ReplyDelete