Thursday, July 1, 2010

Twilight Mockery

I came across these blog comments on a Seriously, So Blessed blog entry about the Twilight Saga. Oh, so true.


PERSON ONE --


Just for giggles I thought I'd look up the actual definition of saga. A long story of heroic achievement, suggests one source. Twilight is certainly long, mostly because the actors stammer their lines so painfully slowly and far apart it adds about four hours to the movie. I wouldn't describe it as heroic achievement though -- more like angsty buildup to confrontation that is either uninteresting or non-existent. I'm thinking of books two and four particularly with that. We push to a climax! only to have the situation painlessly diffused with only the loss of minor nameless characters!


Another definition focused on the Scandinavian and Germanic origin of the term, particularly about Viking voyages. Clearly absent here, nothing hirsute, intrepid or germanic about our heroes. Tales of worthy men? No. Tales of the painfully awkward undead...


...I can't wait to see it with rifftrax...


PERSON TWO --


"Person One", you are sooooo wrong about Twilight.


You probably don't like it because you were a popular mean girl in High School. People like me moped, pouted, sat in the corner and could never figure out why guys weren't drooling down my modest tank top.


So Twilight is my chance, my only chance, to pretend that I was popular in high school and get over the resentment that has been lurking at the back of my mind for years and years. I just wish all the smuggies would realize that Twilight is about pain and pain makes you totally deep.


It also sends a good message. When a girl asks her boyfriend for some self-esteem, he'll give it to her if he really loves her.




DISCLAIMER: I have read the Twilight books and I have seen all the movies (including the one that just came out). However, as fun as they can be, I also like to mock them mercilessly. Don't take it personally. =)

5 comments:

  1. It must be a Brianne thing. I have read the books multiple times, and have seen all of the movies, and yet I still love to mock them all. I also totally get everyone's point who is against them. To be honest, sometimes I wonder, what IS with this obsession I have?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun comments. We can be so deep about things of low value. I mean....Maybe I need to read them, and that's why I can't get too enthusiastic. The music is nice...not too complex tho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom - I'm not sure exactly what you're getting at, there...I agree about the music...but are you saying that the Twilight books/films are of low value, yet deep, and that's why you need to read them but you're not too enthusiastic about them? I'm confused...haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it's just that since I haven't really read the books, it's hard to get excited about the movies....the story line is entertaining, but I can think of so many other better things to read. Maybe that's it. Someone convince me that these are of higher value than I have judged them to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They really aren't of higher value than you've judged them to be. They are fun but not really amazing. They do get a lot better as they go along, though. Much debate is over whether the 3rd or the 4th book is the best. If you do choose to read them and want to borrow them, I can bring them down for you =)

    ReplyDelete