Sunday, October 3, 2010

180th Semi-Annual General Conference!

General Conference was AMAZING! A few highlights (my favorite talks)...

Elder Holland (video) - He thanked the good people of the world for the hard work they do, and encouraged us to keep contributing because we're all useful. He shared the story of how his parents sacrificed so that he wouldn't have to pay for his mission (even though he'd earned the money to do so), and expressed his tearful gratitude. He made me get a lump in my throat, and that doesn't happen to me very often.

Elder Christofferson (video) - He talked about consecrating our lives to the Savior. He described how a consecrated life involves purity, hard work, respect for one's physical body, service, and integrity. Moroni 7:48- "that ye may become the sons of God, that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is."

President Uchtdorf (video) - Slow down and steady the course! Focus on the essentials, especially when experiencing turbulence. He quoted Leonardo da Vinci, who is credited to have said that "simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." He also referenced Psalm 46:10, "Be still and know that I am God." We should make the changes necessary to simplify our lives, spend time with family/friends/ourselves so that we can strengthen our relationships with all of the above, and remember that strength comes from a true, settled foundation on simple things.

Elder Scott (video) - Faith and nobility of character. "When protected by self-control, righteous character will endure eternally." Faith strengthens our character.

President Eyring (audio) - Trust in the Lord. Trust comes from knowing God; he also quoted Psalm 46:10. We show our trust in God by listening and obeying Him, and over time as my trust in Him grows, I will be overwhelmed with gratitude to know that He trusts me.

President Monson's Sunday morning address (audio) - This talk made me cry, which never happens. He talked about gratitude and expressing it. Do we give sincere thanks for the blessings we receive? Christ is a perfect example of gratitude. Though there is much bad in the world, there is also much good, and we should cultivate an attitude of gratitude. A prayerful life is the key to expressing gratitude, and "to live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven."

There were other good talks, of course, but these were my favorites. I love General Conference; it always gives us just the renewal of spiritual energy we need to keep on keeping on. I for one know what I will be focusing on: living more simply, trusting the Lord in faith, and being grateful.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful comments, Brianne. I loved the same talks, plus a few more. Took mountains of notes on my laptop for the first time.

    It's true, Conference is a good time to renew and recommit. I needed it as well. No matter your age, it's always good to get centered, take stock, and move forward with more fervor. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete