Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Computers hate me.

Remember that one time just over a month ago when I bought a brand new expensive shiny laptop? Remember how it was my first brand new computer, and how I'd purchased it because it was time for a laptop and I was sick of having to fix up my old computers all the time? Remember how badly I was looking forward to finally having a good computer that wouldn't give me grief, at least not for a long while?

...Yeah. My new laptop stopped working on Sunday. It won't even turn on. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to get my files back, though I did back them up two weeks before it broke. So I'll only have lost what I've saved since then, which isn't cool but it wouldn't be the end of the world. A technician came out this morning to fix my computer, only to realize that the new hard drive and other repair parts he brought were not the source of the problem. Instead, it is "probably" the motherboard, which he had to order. Usually it takes two days to get the part from Sony, then they send a technician out with it...so hopefully it will be here by Friday. And hopefully a new motherboard is the correct part that will make my laptop work again. And hopefully I won't have to pay for any of this, since it should be covered by the warranty. BUT, knowing my luck so far, it probably won't be here until next week or later, a tech probably won't be able to come when I can be at home, and I will probably have to pay for something or other. "Is this real life? Why is this happening to me?!" (If you haven't seen that video, watch it. It will change your life. At the very least, it's guaranteed to make you laugh.) Sigh.

I didn't even name it Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz, jr...

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Bri :( Wish I could do something for you! BOO TECHNOLOGY!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pain. That stinks. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. soon........hopefully! I'm so sorry you have to deal with this slow-poky company! Do they KNOW you are a grad student????? sheesh.

    ReplyDelete